Nestling on the Jurassic Coast of West Dorset, Lyme Regis is a town where you can escape the pace of twenty-first-century life. Famous for geology and fossils, it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that remains unspoiled.You are sure to visit the harbour at Lyme Regis, where there is a famous stone construction known as the Cobb that shelters the boats.
Don't miss the aquarium on the Cobb in the summer, especially if you are interested in seeing gigantic lobsters. A Literary Lyme Walking Tour might be more your thing, as the Cobb features in John Fowles' novel “The French Lieutenant's Women” as well as in Jane Austen's “Persuasion”. Plan your holiday for July or August and go on a ghost tour; August also devotes one week to a regatta and carnival. On a rainy day, pay a visit to the Town Mill with its art gallery, craft centre, bakery and brasserie.
Lyme Regis offers a wide range of exciting activities for all different ages and interests.
- Fossil Hunting Situated at the heart of the Jurassic Coast, Lyme Regis is a major centre for fossil collecting, recognised and acclaimed worldwide. An official World Heritage Site, the Jurassic Coast is a must-visit for anyone interested in geology, history or stunning coastal scenery. Some of the 95-mile long stretch’s most scenic spots can be found around the Lyme Regis area. Places worth exploring include the Blue Lias cliffs – which are abundant with rare ammonites and other fossils – and the inspirational Pinhay Bay. Every year, Lyme Regis plays host to its famous fossil festival, which sees thousands of enthusiasts of all ages flock to the town to learn more about some fascinating periods of UK history.
- Fishing - www.mackerelfishinglymeregis.com
- Exploring the Literature past of Lyme Regis - http://www.literarylyme.co.uk
- Boat Trip - http://www.marine-life.org.uk
- Spending a day on one of the Lyme Regis Beaches. You can find all the information in regards to different options on http://www.lymeregis.org/have_fun/beach/
- Paragliding - http://www.flyingfrenzy.com
- Windsurfing / Stand Up Paddle -http://lymebaywatersports.co.uk/Windsurfing.html
- Take a stroll through the award winning Lyme Regis Seafront Gardens, with mini gold and table tennis. - http://www.lymeregis.org/have_fun/gardens/